Pages

Thursday 30 November 2017

CHICKEN ~ COOKED IN A SLOW COOKER

Good Morning to you,


I have been prevaricating.  That doesn't sound like me does it.  Well if you have been reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! for a while, then you will know that it sounds exactly like me. I am one of the world's worst prevaricators.... I can easily convince myself, not to do something, that I really should do. 

.... and what have I been prevaricating about this time?

Instagram.... yes honestly, something as simple as Instagram.

Whilst half the world is already using Instagram, I have been waiting in the wings, wondering as to its merits. The idea to set up an Instagram account was floating around my brain, but to be honest with you, I ignored it, as I said, I  am a terrible prevaricator.

I hadn't reached a decision as to whether I should dive in headfirst, that is, until quite recently, when I was given an Instagram demonstration.

.... and do you know who gave me the demonstration.... my daughter Danielle.... both of my daughters are brilliant, as they are so patient with me.

It all came about when I visited Phyllis recently. Danielle drove over to see us all and to see how her Nan Phyllis was getting on.  Whilst we were together, Danielle showed me the photographs in her Instagram account, I was intrigued, so she explained the 'ins' and outs' and showed me what to do, just in case I stopped prevaricating and finally decided to open my own Instagram account.

Instagram seemed like a whole new language. For instance, what on earth were 'hashtags'? I had heard the word used so often, but to be honest with you, I never really understood their significance.

Anyway, the time came when I thought to myself, I really must stop this nonsense and just open an account.

So I did.

My first foray into Instagram was a photograph of some soup I had made.... with one hash tag, surely that was enough, I mean why on earth would you want more.

Apparently, as it turns out, one was not enough.

This time it was Natasha's turn to take me in hand and explain the significance of hash tags. So during one of our Skype chats, the world of hash tags was opened up to me. Natasha patiently explained, in great detail, how to make use of them. I emphasise the words, great detail, because I think, when she was explaining, she could see the glazed look which appeared in my eyes.... the significance of hash tags took a while to register in my brain.

So if you visit my Instagram account, you will see the hash tags are increasing and I have to tell you, the glaze over my eyes is lifting. This reminds me of the Marie Curie quote, 'Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.' Now I understand Instagram there is no fear.

Now there is a reason I am telling you all this.  Another photograph I posted on Instagram, was a chicken cooked in my slow cooker. This is something which I have never written about, here on Ivy, Phyllis and Me!

.... and to my great delight I was asked by 2 new friends, Linda and Diane, how I cooked the chicken.  

So my friends, today, I am going to show you my method of

cooking a chicken using a slow cooker. 

But first, it's on with the pinnie and the music I am listening to, is a song, I first heard when I visited Atlanta a few years ago. On hearing it I loved it instantly,



the Zac Brown Band singing Chicken Fried.  Now I know I'm not frying chicken, but when you hear this song you will know why I am listening to it.... it's a song which makes you tap your feet.... and if you know a few line dancing steps.... I guarantee you will be dancing around your kitchen.... and the words, well, they will make you think about what you love the most.

Now it is time to organise my ingredients.


THE INGREDIENTS
YOU WILL NEED
TO COOK
A CHICKEN USING A SLOW COOKER

You will need: A large 3.5 litre slow cooker

1 (1.8kg) large chicken
1 large lemon
4 large cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of sweet paprika
1 dessert spoon of dried oregano
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 bay leaves


HOW TO
COOK A CHICKEN
USING A SLOW COOKER 




Cut the lemon into quarters
and
set aside for the moment.



Peel 4 cloves of garlic
and
set aside for the moment.



Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the base of the crock pot and using a pastry brush, coat the bottom of the crock pot with oil.

Insert the 


quartered lemons
and


prepared garlic cloves
into the cavity of the chicken.




Place the chicken into the crock pot and pour the second tablespoon of oil over the chicken.  Using a brush spread the oil evenly over the chicken.



Using a pastry brush, cover the surface of the chicken with paprika. If you find you need more paprika, then sprinkle more over the chicken.

Sprinkle with sea salt
and

black pepper




and finally sprinkle with the dried oregano

and



place the



bay leaves either side of the chicken.

Put the crock pot into the slow cooker, put the lid on and turn the switch to HIGH.

Cook for 6 hours. 

When cooked, you will have a,




tender, cooked chicken with lots of stock to make a gravy.

All there is left to do is,

Enjoy!


Now I do know that slow cookers vary, because Natasha can cook a chicken in 4 hours using her slow cooker.  I think the American slow cookers cook food faster, if that makes sense. I have to say mine is an old slow cooker which I have used for years, so you might find you do not need to cook your chicken for 6 hours.

When it comes to checking if the chicken is thoroughly cooked.  The method I have always used, whether roasting or slow cooking, is to insert the point of a knife into the thickest part of the leg, if the juices run clear then the chicken is cooked. You may prefer to use a thermometer.... the choice is yours.


.... but I have to tell you, nowadays, this is the only method I use to cook a chicken, because I love my chicken moist and tender.


Just before I go, over the years I have used my slow cooker for cooking meat products, but I have recently discovered, there is a whole raft of other things which can be cooked using a slow cooker.  I was amazed to discover that mashed potato can be made using a slow cooker.... who would have thought it. So pop over to visit, Marilyn at Marilyns Treats and find out how.... plus you will discover how to make quite a few other treats.

Oh yes, I just know you will also want to visit Linda and Diane. You will find them here, Linda who writes My Sew What Blog and Diane who writes Southamsdarling 

Take care and I will catch up with you next Thursday.


As Always,




































No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...